|Chris Marchand||Farhang Fotovat||Mark VanZeumeren||Joseph Daniel|
|David Graham||Ben Young||Alex Halef||Krissy Fry|
|Stephen Adams||Christine Corbin||Rob Grant||Rob Norwood|
Summary of Motions
- To accept the agenda as presented in the May appendices. Moved by David Graham. Seconded by Krissy Fry. Motion carried.
- To accept the April 21 Board meeting minutes as presented in the May Appendices, with the note that Rob Grant was present. Moved by Alex Halef. Seconded by Krissy Fry. Motion carried.
- To Accept April’s Financial Report. Moved by Joseph Daniel. Seconded by Ben Young. Motion Carried.
- To Accept one new member as presented: The Armour Group – Represented by Blaise Morrison. Moved by Krissy Fry. Seconded by Mark VanZeumeren. – Motion Carried
- Motion to Adjourn. Meeting Adjourned at 9:43. Moved by Joseph Daniel. Seconded by Alex Halef– Motion Carried
Board Action Items
All Board Members
- To share examples of issues that should be brought to the attention of councillors with Stephen.
- Please review UDI’s Strategic Plan and provide and input of changes you see fit.
- A UDI committee to be formed to review the Regional Plan Reports.
- Farhang to review the Themes and Directions report just released and provide the summary to the board at the next meeting.
- To set up a Centre Plan Committee meeting, following the meeting on June 10th.
- Stephen to reach out again to councillors to continue education process concerning staff shortage issue.
- Golf Tournament – Projected for August 27.
- To undertake an industry outreach to the GHP, Roadbuilders, Homebuilders, the Ecology Action Centre, and CANS, and to the Heritage Society. Put something together in the next few weeks. For discussion under item 7.2
- Continue dialogue with Waye Mason about renewable energy being added to the budget.
Committee Action Items
- All Board members with comments concerning eviction & rent control to send a note to Alex Halef.
1. Meeting called to order at 8:40 am
2. Acceptance of the Agenda
The Agenda was accepted as presented, with the note that the date be added to the April minutes, in the appendices.
- Motion: To accept the Agenda as presented, with the note that the date be added to the April minutes, in the appendices. Made by David Graham. Seconded by Krissy Fry. Motion carried.
3. Approval of the Minutes
The Minutes of the April 21 Board meeting were approved as presented in the May appendices, with the added note that Rob Grant was Present.
- Motion: To accept the April 21, 2021 Board meeting minutes as presented in the May Appendices, with the added note that Rob Grant was present. Made by Alex Halef. Seconded by Krissy Fry. Motion carried.
- General discussion of the current COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the development industry
There was no new discussion. To be removed from future Agendas.
- UDI Dashboard
The UDI Dashboard was included in the May appendices for reference.
- Rob Grant to check on any outstanding billing with respect to the $5,000 expenditure.
- Outstanding Action Items
- All Board Members
- It was agreed that this point will be removed from the agenda, with the understanding that all board members will continue to bring examples off issues that need to be brought to Council.
- Farhang Fotovat
- Stephen Adams
- Stephen Adams has been speaking with Council concerning the staff shortage issue. Fees and charges impact the affordability of homes, though the Municipality has added more planners to handle applications. Ongoing.
- All Board Members
- Outstanding Action Items
- Letter to the Minister drafted and sent to Chris and the Board for review. David indicated he would also like to see the letter. In Progress.
- Nine holes planned. Will be held at Brunello on August 27th.
- Stephen declined the BID’s request on UDI’s behalf, for $25,000. Complete.
- Reached out to the GHP, Roadbuilders, Homebuilders, the Ecology Action Centre, CANS, and to the Heritage Society. Awaiting a reply, will put something together in the next few weeks.
- Had a dialogue with Waye Mason in May. The process is ongoing, but renewable energy may not be included in the May Draft.
- Committee Action Items
- Alex has not yet received any notes from the Board concerning eviction & rent control.
- Stephen Adams reached out to HRM and spoke with Peter Duncan. The GIC charge report will be coming to Council in Late Summer/early Fall. A reminder that all information regarding GIC charges is confidential, as pertaining to the Non-Disclosure Agreement.
5. Executive Director’s Report
- Strategic Plan
All Directors were asked to review UDI’s Strategic Plan and provide any input of changes you see fit.
- National UDI Contacts and Strategy
Stephen met with UDI Directors from across Canada to discuss commonalities, issues, and processes. Collaboration could prove helpful on projects that are on a federal level in the future. Further meetings are planned for next week.
- To set up a Centre Plan Committee meeting. Previously Discussed. In Progress.
- To work with Peter Polley on drafting a letter offering to provide costing data on ‘visitable’ units. The letter to go to Chris prior to it being sent. Previously Discussed. In Progress.
- Noise By-Law issue may or may not require public Hearing.
- Formal Ask from The BIDS to Halifax Partnership Re FBM and Presentation. Complete.
6. Financial Report
6.1 Review of the April 2021 Financial Statements
- Motion: To accept April’s financial report as presented in the agenda. Made by Joseph Daniel, seconded by Ben Young.
6.2 Compliance Certificate
The May compliance certificate was included in the May appendices.
7. Membership/Program Committee
- February 17th, 2021 Action Item:
The Board has agreed to Stephen Adams idea regarding a special membership rate for BID’s. It was noted that the Spryfield BID would not be renewing.
- Membership Report
A list of members was included in the May appendices.
- New Member approval
The Armour Group – Represented by Blaise Morrison
- Motion: To accept The Armour Group as a new member. Made by Krissy Fry. Seconded by Mark VanZeumeren. Motion carried.
- UDI Events
- Golf Tournament
Projected for August 27th at Brunello. Plan for nine holes.
8. Reporting Committee Updates
- Affordable Housing Committee – Alex Halef
Had final 2 meetings with HRM, and the report is to be released to the media next week. It is a very positive report with a total of 17 recommendations. The report will be circulated to the board once it is made public.
- Housing Affordability Committee – David Graham
David Graham sent a report to Duncan McLellan, anyone with questions should contact David Graham.
- GIC & Infrastructure Charges Task Force – Krissy Fry, Andrew Giles
It was decided that UDI should meet with Patrick Sullivan at the Chamber of Commerce. Ben to organize the meeting and Ben, Joseph, David, and Alex to attend. David noted that it might make sense for UDI to be a member of the Chamber of Commerce and potentially other organizations. Stephen to look at the cost.
9. Reporting External Committee Updates
9.1 Building Advisory Committee
No report given.
10. Unfinished Business
No Unfinished Business.
11. New Business
Stephen noted that he received positive feedback from members about the April webinar. Farhang noted that Council has directed Staff to work on the Regional Plan. There will be a need for a UDI committee to be formed to review the reports. Farhang to review the Themes and Directions report just released and provide the summary to the board at the next meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:43 am.
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting at 9:43 am. Made by Joseph Daniel. Seconded by Alex Halef. Motion carried.