|Chris Marchand||Farhang Fotovat||Andrew Giles||Joseph Daniel|
|Cesar Saleh||Ben Young||Alex Halef||Krissy Fry|
|Stephen Adams||Christine Corbin||Rob Norwood|
|Mark VanZeumeren||David Graham|
Summary of Motions
- Starfish & Westdale Properties – Louis Reznick and FH Development Group – Faisal Al-Hammadi. Moved by Ben Young, seconded by Rob Grant.
- Motion to Adjourn. Meeting Adjourned at 9:35. Moved by Joseph Daniel. Seconded by Alex – Motion Carried
Board Action Items
To share examples of issues that should be brought to the attention of councillors with Stephen.
- Stephen to reach out again to councillors to continue education process concerning labour shortage issue. In Progress.
- To set up a Centre Plan Committee meeting. In Progress.
- To continue working with Peter Polley on drafting a letter offering to provide costing data on ‘visitable’ units. The letter to go to Chris prior to it being sent. In Progress
- Stephen to work on golf tournament, scheduled for late August.
Stephen to get back to the BIDs and decline the request as we have too many competing priorities at this time.
- Stephen to reach out to IPOANS to get the study and circulate it to the Board.
- To undertake an industry outreach to the GHP, Roadbuilders, Homebuilders, the Ecology Action Centre and CANS, and to the Heritage Society.
- The Committee has submitted a request to Waye Mason and Eric Lucic, requesting that renewable energy be included in the list of approved public benefits under the Centre Plan. To date, no response has been received. Stephen to Follow up with Eric.
Committee Action Items
- All Board members with comments concerning eviction & rent control to send a note to Alex Halef.
- Krissy Fry, Andrew Giles, and Stephen Adams to reconvene as a committee and provide a refresher update for the Board.
1. Meeting called to order at 8:30 am
2. Acceptance of the Agenda
The Agenda was accepted as presented.
- Motion: To accept the Agenda as presented. Made by Rob Grant. Seconded by Alex Halef. Motion carried.
3. Approval of the Minutes
The Minutes of the March 17 Board meeting were approved as presentedin the April appendices.
- Motion: To accept the March 17th, 2021 Board meeting minutes as presented in the April Appendices. Made by Rob Grant. Seconded by Alex Halef. Motion carried.
4.1 General discussion of the current COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the development industry
There was no new discussion.
4.2 UDI Dashboard
The UDI Dashboard was included in the April appendices for reference.
4.3 Outstanding Action Items
4.3.1 To send out an invite to the membership to serve on the UDI Accessibility Committee. Complete.
5. Executive Director’s Report
- Outstanding Action ItemsTo work with the Membership Committee for the member-related website changes. Completed
The Website changes have been made. The description and member benefits have been updated. A Facebook page has also been created.
Stephen has Spoken to most of the groups and will soon meet with the EAC.
- To come up with a plan to do an outreach to the various politicians and organizations to consult on the labour shortage issue. Halifax Partnership, Halifax Chamber of Commerce and CANS to be included, as well as Iain Rankin. Completed.
Stephen has spoken to all members of council regarding not only the labour shortages but also the challenges for development. Cesar to share examples of issues that should be brought to the attention of councillors with Stephen. It was also agreed that an outreach to new Councillors is beneficial. Stephen to reach out to councillors again to continue education process. In Progress
- To set up a Centre Plan Committee meeting. In Progress.
Stephen is in the Process of setting up the meeting.
- To work with Peter Polley on drafting a letter offering to provide costing data on ‘visitable’ units. The letter to go to Chris prior to it being sent. In Progress
Stephen is working with Peter Polly to draft the letter. In Progress
- Stephen to follow up with the CAO to make him aware of the position of the Development Community regarding the Noise By-Law. Completed
Chris Marchand, Andrew Giles and Stephen Adams met with Kelly Denty to discuss the new bylaw and the complete streets’ concerns raised by members. The meeting went well. Stephen sent the letter to Kelly Denty.
- Stephen to send a note to Sergio Grbac, Kelly Denty and Ben Sivak regarding the noise by-law. Completed.
Complete. Letter sent.
6. Financial Report
6.1 Review of the draft 2020–2021 year-end statements
The statements were reviewed by the Board and will be sent to CCI for a year end review. To be approved by the members at the AGM.
6.2 Compliance Certificate
The April compliance certificate was included in the April appendices.
7. Membership/Program Committee
January 20th, 2021, Action Item: Stephen Adams to work with the Membership Committee for the member-related website changes. Complete.
February 17th, 2021 Action Item: Stephen Adams to take his idea regarding a special membership rate for BID’s to the Membership Committee for discussion and to develop a recommendation for the Board. Complete.
Stephen met with BIDs regarding membership. During the meeting, the BIDs requested $25,000.
- Membership Report
A list of members was included in the April appendices.
- New Member approval Starfish & Westdale Properties – Louis Reznick – ApprovedFH Development Group – Faisal Al-Hammadi – Approved
- Motion: To accept Starfish & Westdale Properties and FH Development group as new members. Made by Ben Young. Seconded by Rob Grant. Motion carried.
- UDI Events
- Dec. 9th, 2020 Action Item: Krissy Fry to follow up with David regarding Duncan MacLennan as a potential presenter for Part 2 of the Affordable Housing webinar. Carried forward
- Annual Conference /Webinars – The committee is still working on content for part 2 of the webinar series. Any update will be given at the meeting.
There will be a webinar on April 28th with speakers Ava Czapalay, Mike Johnson, and Ben Sivac.
- Golf tournament – projected for August.
It was felt that the golf tournament should proceed for late August. Stephen to work on this.
- AGM – A time & format for the AGM needs to be decided. For discussion and decision by the board
It was decided to hold the AGM virtually, immediately prior to the May Board meeting.
8. Reporting Committee Updates
8.1 Affordable Housing
The Affordable Housing Commission met. Alex Halef is co-chairing the Affordable Market Housing working group. They are putting together their recommendation which will ultimately be sent to the province.
The group working on evictions & rent control is divided on their recommendations. Alex Halef asked anyone that had comments on this to send a note to him.
Stephen to reach out to IPOANS to get the study and circulate to the board.
8.2 Centre Plan
The Committee has submitted a request to Waye Mason and Eric Lucic, requesting that renewable energy be included in the list of approved public benefits under the Centre Plan. To date, no response has been received. Stephen to Follow up with Eric.
8.3 Halifax Water RDC
No update required. Remove from Agenda.
8.4 GIC Infrastructure Charges Task Force
There was a letter included into the appendices with an update on the timeline. Krissy Fry, Andrew Giles, and Stephen Adams to reconvene as a committee and provide a refresher update for the Board. Andrew Giles noted that if there was anyone on the board who wished to join the committee, they should let him know. Stephen Adams noted the importance of everyone understanding that this is an indirect tax and will impact affordability.
Krissy Fry, Andrew Giles, and Stephen Adams to reconvene as a committee and provide a refresher update for the Board.
9. Reporting External Committee Updates
No report given.
10. Unfinished Business
10.1 Red Book Changes
Stephen Adams, Andrew Giles, and Chris Marchand met with Kelly Denty & Jacques Dube to express the concerns of the industry.
11. New Business
11.1 BID Proposal
The Halifax BIDs have requested 25k to help with a study they would like to commission.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:35 am.
- Motion: To adjourn the meeting at 9:35 am. Made by Joseph Daniel. Seconded by Alex Halef. Motion carried.