HRM have released Package B of their Centre Plan. Key components of Package B include policies and regulations for:
- Downtown Halifax – mixed-use, high density developments in Downtown Halifax, pedestrian-oriented commercial streets, urban design and streetscaping, heritage properties and the Schmidtville Heritage Conservation District;
- Established residential areas – retaining the neighbourhood character while providing for secondary suites, backyard suites, home businesses, local commercial uses, and urban agriculture;
- Industrial lands – businesses, manufacturing, harbour-oriented marine uses, container piers, power generation, and similar uses;
- Institutional lands – hospitals, colleges, military lands, schools, universities, and places of worship;
- Waterfront lands – harbourfront trails & walkways, cruise ship berths, and public/special event spaces for citizens and tourists;
- Parks and Community Facilities – parks and green spaces of all sizes and shapes including the Commons, recreation centres, and recreational clubs to support healthy and active living;
- Culture and Heritage – heritage properties, cultural landscapes, Citadel Hill, heritage conservation districts;
- Updates to Centre Plan Package A – additions and refinements of Downtown Dartmouth, Centres, Corridors, Higher Order Residential Areas and Future Growth Nodes to integrate those lands into one comprehensive Plan and Land Use By-law for the Regional Centre.
The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the Centre Plan – Package B public engagement process and project timeline. Public meetings previously scheduled in March and April were cancelled in response to provincial restrictions. The Centre Plan Package B will not now be able to be finished by September 2020, and it is expected that the project timeline will be updated when there is greater certainty on when public consultations can be safely completed.
HRM are also accepting feedback via email and regular mail to Planning & Development – Centre Plan, 2nd Floor Alderney Gate, PO Box 1749, Halifax, N.S. B3J 3A5. You can also leave a message for planning staff at 902.490.4472 or call 311 with your feedback.
Visit www.centreplan.ca for fact sheets, interactive map and draft planning documents.
Package A was finalized and made law in late 2019. UDI partnered with other organizations to engage leading planner Jennifer Keesmaat to provide a peer review of Package A. We invite anyone interested to read the full Keesmaat Report, or a Key Recommendations document is also available.